PHOTO GALLERY: Cavalry FC vs. Atlético Ottawa May 21, 2023
Atlético Ottawa concluded its two-week trip away from the capital with a trip to Alberta to face Cavalry FC. Despite a valiant effort from Head Coach Carlos González’s side, they couldn’t replicate the performance that saw Ottawa pick up a victory the weekend before in British Columbia.
- Atlético Ottawa was beaten 2-0 away to Cavalry FC, losing at ATCO Field for the first time.
- Ottawa fell behind in the 22nd minute as Sergio Camargo’s shot found its way into the bottom corner through a crowd of bodies, unsighting Sean Melvin in goal.
- Defender Luke Singh brought the best save of the match as his powerful free-kick was well-stopped by Mario Carlucci.
- A positive start to the second period was cut short as Daan Klomp made it 2-0, tapping in at the far post following a set-piece routine.
- Atlético slip to seventh in the Canadian Premier League table (1W-2D-3L).
- Stand-out defender in recent games, Niba Macdonald, was forced to retire from the match following a non-contact injury in the 19th minute.
- He was replaced by Maxim Tissot, making his own return from a period on the sidelines.
- Atlético also lost its captain on the day Miguel Acosta with an apparent shoulder injury in the 79th minute.
- González’s side returns to Ottawa on next weekend (May 27, 2023), in a rematch of the 2022 playoff final against Forge FC.
- This week is the last chance for those wishing to join the 2023 Atleti Family by becoming Season Seat Members.